In March 2009, Tailwind became the first certified sustainable eco-lodge in Mexico. This certification, through Sustainable Travel International, had been a goal for the Tailwind lodge since its inception and represents lodge's commitment to holistic sustainability. The process of achieving this certification also strengthened the Jacobi Family's vision of environmentalism and sustainable lifestyle.
At the Tailwind lodge there are three overarching elements that mold our definition of sustainability and govern the decisions that the Jacobi Family makes for the lodge. Our idea of sustainability takes into consideration:
- The health of the natural world
- The health of the San Pancho community-culturally and economically
- The Tailwind (Jacobi) family and our ability to make low-impact living realistic, comfortable and affordable.
- Water Conservation
- Energy Conservation
- Waste Management
- Land conservation
- Reduced Carbon Emissions
- Construction materials sourcing
- Local purchasing
- Community Involvment
- Sustainability Education (workshops and community)
- Donations to non-profits